December 2, 2012

4H and a puppet show

As I am always looking for interesting ways to teach the kids, I recently saw a posting on my homeschool group site about a 4H club.  Since I didn't know much about it we decided to go check it out.

Today, we went to a community service project where the club was putting together holiday poppers for the firemen.  We went to help, meet some kids and find out more.  We took our friend N with us because he always likes to go.

The kids made the poppers by wrapping toilet paper rolls filled with candy with colored tissue paper, decorated them with stickers and tied the ends.

Yep a picture would be nice right here (forgot the camera).

While the kids worked, I talked to some of the moms - one of them I already knew from another group - funny how often we run into people we know at different things.

Anyway, I learned a lot and I got really excited about the different opportunities.  As we were driving home, I told the kids what I had learned.  They got excited too.

The girls are interested in doing some projects on Cake decorating, Outdoor Adventures, Visual Arts, Heritage projects, Geospatial, Global Citizenship, Horseless Horse and Vet Science.  We won't do all those projects in one year but it is interesting how many the girls are already interested in.  Cairn can join the regular 4H club and get going on a project.  Skylar has to join the Cloverbuds until she is 8 so she will do different activities and Andrew can't do anything but learn along with us until he turns 5.

I am going to call the office tomorrow and get even more information as I have a lot more questions tonight.

After 4H, we went to a library puppet show.  I had told the kids that it was a holiday storytime and they all groaned because none of them like storytime but they went anyway.  When we walked into the library, the librarian asked if we were there for the puppet show and the kids were suddenly very interested.  The puppet show included the stories "Three Billy Goats Gruff", "Rapunzel" and "Little Red Riding Hood".  Cairn, Andrew and N all got on stage at one time or another.

We went home after the puppet show and the kids took off for N's house to play until dinner.  They came back hungry and exhausted.  Cairn told me tonight that she needs some more quiet time on the weekend.  She can't handle the go all week and the go all weekend.  I told her I would try to slow the schedule down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Korean Scholarship!

 Cairn applied for the Korean Learner Scholarship at CSU and won!  Andrew and I were able to attend the award ceremony where she received th...