I am finally getting a handle on how we are going to do school now and even though I don't have it all set up yet (Rosetta Stone is in the mail) I wanted to get the routine going. So this morning, I got the kids up and dressed and into the classroom by 8:30 AM. We start with music. I have 2 of them work together while I work with one on the piano. It was Skylar's day so she got on the piano first while Cairn and Andrew were supposed to be working on marching and clapping (this was more of an Andrew activity). Cairn had very little patience and Andrew ended up in tears. Skylar was finished practicing so I rotated everyone. Cairn came to the piano while Andrew and Skylar worked on note flashcards (two-eighths, half note, quarter note). Cairn wouldn't practice so I sent her to her room and then Andrew came to the piano and Skylar worked on some different flashcards of naming the keys (A, G, etc.) Cairn stayed in her room for awhile because she wouldn't turn her attitude around so I got to work with Skylar and Andrew on cutting, gluing, reading books, identifying setting of a story, drawing pictures, counting coins - in other words we got a lot accomplished.
Now, I have to back up to yesterday for a second. Since it was Sunday morning I was too strict about the kids getting dressed for the day so they had been playing with toys and such but at 11 AM I asked them to get dressed. Andrew was ready and headed up the stairs, Skylar and Cairn started complaining. I tried to coax them with some errands and things we needed to get done for the day but it was endless. I finally had had enough - all I had asked was they get dressed. So I decided to call "Myrtle". Now for those who don't read and follow Love and Logic parenting techniques, this is a mean babysitter who comes over and has the child sit and do nothing, no playing, no games, no snacks. etc. And the child has to pay Myrtle either with toys or doing chores. I picked up my phone and called Myrtle and talked to her within earshot of the kids and explained that I needed her the next day during Girl Scout time. Myrtle agreed and I got off the phone. This was a real call and I was talking to a real person.
Immediately, the behaviors turned around. Everyone got dressed, helped each other, offered to do anything I needed. etc.
Back to today, so at breakfast I gave them one reminder that Myrtle was coming to babysit at 11:30. Skylar and Andrew were obviously listening and were still continuing their good behaviors from the previous day but Cairn was testing me. Would I really leave her at home with a mean babysitter?
11:30 came and the doorbell rang. Cairn went hysterical, "don't leave me, she will be mean to me." I reminded her that she needed to stay in her room or do her schoolwork in the classroom and she also needed to talk to Myrtle to figure out how she was going to pay her and I left. Skylar and Andrew got to come with me, only Cairn was at home.
I returned after Girl Scouts, Cairn was out of her room and she had a list of chores she was going to do at Myrtle's house to pay her. Mop all the floors, dust the entire upstairs and vacuum the TV room. These are chores to be done at her house, not mine.
The rest of the day was a breeze. Nice children to me and to each other, everyone was helpful. When Dad got home they tested him a little but I got that turned around quickly. Dad even commented tonight that it was a nice night.
It worked! Now to keep that in my back pocket.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Korean Scholarship!
Cairn applied for the Korean Learner Scholarship at CSU and won! Andrew and I were able to attend the award ceremony where she received th...
-
Happy Valentine's Day! The kids woke up to a nice surprise of Valentine cards, dye free candy, new shirts and socks, and new "lip...
-
KrisAnne Hall came to our house today to give a fabulous lecture to 13 kids. She was supposed to come on Friday but she got caught in a ro...
-
I am finally getting a handle on how we are going to do school now and even though I don't have it all set up yet (Rosetta Stone is in t...
No comments:
Post a Comment