August 23, 2012

Crazy Days

Just when you thought you had a handle on what was going on, you get a reminder that you don't have much control.

First, I am feeling only slightly better.  If I don't feel a whole lot better in the morning then I will call the doctor and see what they want to do.  I don't have my ultrasound until Wednesday.

We are still plugging away at school.

Andrew LOVES his piano homework.  He is working very hard on learning to draw his quarter notes.  He has a worksheet to complete plus he likes drawing them on the whiteboard.  We also practiced his numbers 1 through 5 since he will need those in music every week for a few months.  Then I pulled out some of his pre-junior worksheets and showed him how he was already clapping quarter notes and he thought that was pretty neat.  He also worked on tracing lines, cutting, pasting and folding.  I am building up those little muscles!!

Skylar worked on building numbers.  One of the trays I had out for Cairn was reading numbers to practice place value.  For example, they had a one thousand cube, one hundred flat, one ten rod and 5 ones.  After just telling her what every item was she was able to tell me the number.  She read 216 (I didn't even know she could read numbers in the hundreds), 1101 (didn't know she knew 1000's either).  First, she read the numbers, then I wrote them on the whiteboard and she matched them.  Then she wanted a challenge so I had her write the number down.  She solved 1223.  Her next unit in math is reading and writing numbers to 10 - she's got that down!!  She also worked on creating a picture with shapes, reading and understanding "Monday's Child", and took a unit test on calendars.

She also had her first piano class tonight at 6:30 PM - too late for me.  She did a fantastic job and she is so excited about her new piano books.  "They look like real music."

Cairn worked on finishing up her weather unit.  She put together several weather measuring instruments and put them outside - she made a wind vane, wind direction thingy, and a rain gauge.  In Literature, she learned about rhyming couplets and rhyme schemes.  I learned a lot today too.

After school (we weren't finished but we had an appointment) Andrew got his haircut and then we went shopping for Skylar's best friends' birthday.  Skylar was very thoughtful and looked at many items before deciding - she ended up getting several small items but she put thought into each one and could explain why she had chosen each gift.

We returned home for some lunch and then playtime with N and C which didn't last long because they had to leave for the airport.  They came back and we did crafts because it was too cool outside.  Skylar's friend came over so Skylar could give her her present and she loved it all.

We went to piano and boy is that class late.  When it is dark, I may fall asleep during class.  We got back and it was 8 PM which is bedtime.  Thursday will be a late night from now on.

1 comment:

  1. I am very impressed with all the kids math knowledge and piano skils. Wish we had a piano at the condo, would have enjoyed hearing them play.

    I think I need to have you refresh me in math. You must be quite the teacher!!! Cappy

    ReplyDelete

Korean Scholarship!

 Cairn applied for the Korean Learner Scholarship at CSU and won!  Andrew and I were able to attend the award ceremony where she received th...