Yesterday, I explained to Cairn how we were going to do spelling using a visual spatial technique - draw a picture that represents the word to her. I have no control or input in her picture. It has to be completely hers. She worked on a couple yesterday and quickly learned how to spell them. So today, she worked on some more words - in total today she did 15 cards. She LOVES IT - she is constantly asking me to quiz her. While she was doing her cards I was researching more techniques to use and they said spelling the words backwards too is very beneficial to visual spatial learners. So I turned to Cairn and asked her to spell one of her words that I knew she had done a card for and asked her to spell it backwards. She did it without batting an eye. She looked so proud afterwards.
Here are some of her cards. For some of her words that we didn't know the definition or I couldn't come with a good definition for her we would look them up online and she would figure out a picture. We couldn't come up with any picture for "though" and I remembered reading about breaking up words into their parts, highlighting vowels vs. consonants, so I wrote "though" in different colors highlighting the digraphs and the vowel blends - she can spell it now and it hear it spell it outloud she spells it broken into the different colors.This morning before school and before the rain started we rode our bikes to a new park. Andrew rides in the chariot behind me while the girls ride their bikes. As soon as we get to the park, Andrew jumps on Skylar's bike and starts practicing. He loves to ride.
We put some chalk in the chariot and before we left we did some review - Skylar musical notes and beats and for Andrew his letters and numbers. I didn't get a chance to do anything with Cairn because we had to get home.
At home, we made popcorn for snack/lunch and then made new play-doh. Andrew's speech therapist made him some when he graduated and she adds a packet of jello to make the color and make it smell good. So we tried it today - we love it!!
On Wednesdays, we empty the trashcans and cat litter buckets before Dad gets home so he can put the trash out at night. As usual, we had done the trash but tonight we had to leave for the Art Show. The garage smelled super super bad since it had been warm lately. We had to prepare ourselves to get into the car.
READY!
We went to the Wildlife Experience tonight for a homeschoolers art exhibit. Both of the girls had paintings in the exhibit and they both received certificates. Dad came too to see the show.
Dinner time has been a struggle for us for quite some time. The kids start bugging me for snacks around 4:30 and then they get grouchy, irritable and just obnoxious by dinner. Finally, Dad and I talked and we decided to have the kids eat earlier so tonight we moved dinner from 6 PM to 5 PM. Oh boy, did that make a huge difference. They all were happy throughout the afternoon, they sat down and ate dinner without arguing or meanness. They all finished their dinners within a reasonable amount of time and it was relaxing. We did go out for the art show and when we came back they were all hungry again. They of course wanted more dessert but I said more dinner first and they came up with cereal. I don't care - I just liked them eating a really good dinner without much fuss. Dinner will be served at 5 PM now!!
http://cchf1.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=learningstyles&thread=12840&page=1
ReplyDeleteHere is the link to the thread on the message board of our notes from the VS learner workshop that a few of us went to.