September 17, 2013

Math, Science and Constitution Day

Everyone was up super early today for some reason.  I mean it was still dark out when Andrew and Skylar woke up so that is early.

We had breakfast or Andrew had his dinner from last night that he hadn't eaten, a container of yogurt, a bagel and some of my rice cereal for breakfast.  He of course, didn't eat his lunch but he definitely ate his breakfast.

After breakfast, everyone did their math work - Cairn took her multi-digit multiplication test and passed with 100%, Skylar continues to work on adding doubles plus 1 and Andrew is now working on adding 1.  Then we started watching some videos about the American Revolution to lead into our study of the Constitution today.  Why start there?  Because it explains what the Colonists were fighting for and why they wrote the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation.  When the Articles failed to work, then the states reconvened to work out a new plan and the Constitution was written.  It was signed on September 17, 1787 by the Delegates and then needed to be ratified by the people.  On June 21, 1788, 9 of the 13 states ratified it and the Constitution went into effect.

September 17th has always been celebrated but it used to be Citizenship Day.  In 2004, Congress enacted a law that specified that September 17th be celebrated as Constitution Day and any educational institution that received federal funding was required to teach about the Constitution.  I don't know how many schools actually follow that law because the kids in our neighborhood know nothing about today.  I asked.


After some study, we had lunch, rode our bikes to the park and then the girls had a science class at the library on sound.  They created several noise makers and had a great time.

I love this warm weather and wish it would continue for several more weeks but I snow is on its way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Korean Scholarship!

 Cairn applied for the Korean Learner Scholarship at CSU and won!  Andrew and I were able to attend the award ceremony where she received th...