Skylar woke up at 5 AM with itchy legs. The hives had returned with a vengeance. I was able to get her back to sleep but I got up to get to work.
I woke everyone but Skylar up at 7:30. It was a crazy morning for some reason and we didn't get on task until 11 AM. I was talking to Uncle Mait, Cappy, the doctor, and Girl Scout leaders. I just need to go back to the rule of no answering the phone during school.
Skylar woke up eventually with hives everywhere - they were thicker and had spread to more places. I put a call into the doctor and they said the hives will come and go - come in if she gets a fever or becomes sicker.
The hives got pretty itchy so we tried an oatmeal bath. I had to look up how to do an oatmeal bath - you can either buy them for about $5 or you can make it at home with cheesecloth and oatmeal. I chose to make my own.
This is a before picture. I also have one of her butt that looks really painful.
For lunch, Skylar felt up to meeting a friend at the park for a picnic so we went. Within 20 minutes, she was laying down and refusing to play. Over an hour, I watched her get sicker and sicker. I finally got the doctor since it was across the street. They said bring her in if she has a fever. I took her home and her temperature was 100.4 - not a real temp according to the doctor's office. At 5 PM, her fever had shot up to 101.5. I called back and they said to take her to urgent care. I tried waiting for Dad to get home so I only had to take Skylar but by 7:30 he wasn't home. I left Cairn and Andrew with a neighbor and took Skylar.
The doctor says it could be a viral reaction or it could be a new food allergy or a new reaction to her milk allergy. At this point, we only want to make her comfortable until the hives go away and then we can do a food elimination diet to try to determine what she is allergic too. I am thinking it may be time to take her back in for some more blood work to check on her immune system. Her system continues to be weaker.
For school, Cairn worked hard on trying to get enough points to get ahead of Uncle Mait in Duolingo. She completed her math (within seconds), did a free write for Free Write Fridays, watched part of the science video on astronomy and practiced the piano. Skylar only finished her handwriting and a writing assignment. Andrew did his handwriting, math, speech and watched a tiny portion of the science video.
The science video was fascinating - we didn't finish it because we had to stop it a lot and discuss what we had learned. Did you know that Mercury's day is longer than its year? Did you know that scientists have sent satellites toward Mercury to study it but the sun "eats" them? (gravitational pull of sun is greater than Mercury's) Did you know that we have never been able to reach the surface of Venus because the atmosphere is so thick?
Next week is a full week of school and the kids continue to be excited about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Korean Scholarship!
Cairn applied for the Korean Learner Scholarship at CSU and won! Andrew and I were able to attend the award ceremony where she received th...
-
Happy Valentine's Day! The kids woke up to a nice surprise of Valentine cards, dye free candy, new shirts and socks, and new "lip...
-
KrisAnne Hall came to our house today to give a fabulous lecture to 13 kids. She was supposed to come on Friday but she got caught in a ro...
-
I am finally getting a handle on how we are going to do school now and even though I don't have it all set up yet (Rosetta Stone is in t...
We feel sorry for Skylar, I bet the hives are very uncomfortable.
ReplyDeleteInteresting science facts, keep them coming... Cappy