April 18, 2013

Castle Rock Museum

This afternoon we headed out for a field trip with some of our homeschool friends and Grandma went with us too.

We drove south to Castle Rock to the Castle Rock Museum.  My friend, Liese, set up the trip and her blog as tons of pictures - go here.

We had a wonderful docent, named John, who led the tour.  The first question he asked was, "what is a museum?"  Skylar immediately raised her hand and he called on her.

"It is a place you visit to see things you have never seen before."

Excellent answer if I do say so.

I only had my little phone camera so I didn't take but 2 pictures.

We learned about how Castle Rock became a town - it was voted the County seat.  The museum had a small replication of a general store, a toy train, Indian artifacts, train artifacts, historical pictures that talked about the flood of 1965, the Courthouse fire in 1975 (started by a love struck 17 year old girl) and some old farming equipment such as the tool that cut off cow horns.

This sign caught my eye - appears history is repeating itself.


Grandma found this sign.

I bought a book about the history of Douglas County.

Even though the museum was super small, the kids really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Korean Scholarship!

 Cairn applied for the Korean Learner Scholarship at CSU and won!  Andrew and I were able to attend the award ceremony where she received th...