With mom being sick for so long, we got into the bad habit of watching A LOT of TV, playing on Ipods and playing on the computer. As I was getting better I tried to wean them back down to a reasonable level. It just wasn't working - lots of arguing and yelling and temper tantrums. So Dad and I decided to put everyone on an electronics fast.
Sunday morning it started. That day each kid asked at one time, "Can I watch a show?"
Nope.
Monday came - Andrew struggled for about 5 minutes in the morning but then was fine the rest of the day. I just kept saying, "we are on an electronics fast."
Tuesday was a breeze. No one asked. No temper tantrums. Easy to bed.
Wednesday was free sailing. Lots of toys were coming out, kids were going outside.
Thursday, Dad asked if anyone wanted to watch a show during dinner - either Survivor or Hotel Impossible. I looked at him to say why? But went with it. Skylar and I headed off to piano shortly thereafter anyway.
Thursday night was dreadful. By the time we got home from piano, Andrew was already asleep. I put the girls to bed but within a few minutes, Skylar was downstairs watching another show with Dad. At 9:30 she came in and said she was ready for bed so I tucked her back in. 5 minutes later she was complaining she couldn't fall asleep. At 10 PM, she was disturbing me while I was trying to go to bed. She then threw a temper tantrum about going to bed. The next 30 minutes was spent either in temper tantrum or complaining she couldn't fall asleep.
Finally, she went to sleep but every 2 hours she was awake - complaining of one thing or another.
Lesson learned - no electronics is awesome!! Putting electronics back in the diet is not good for anyone. When we do allow electronics again, it will be a very small diet.
Today, there was no TV again today and especially tonight. Skylar went right to sleep, never heard a peep out of her. Cairn is at a sleepover - she is going to get to watch a movie. I will get a report from her tomorrow about how she slept.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Korean Scholarship!
Cairn applied for the Korean Learner Scholarship at CSU and won! Andrew and I were able to attend the award ceremony where she received th...
-
Happy Valentine's Day! The kids woke up to a nice surprise of Valentine cards, dye free candy, new shirts and socks, and new "lip...
-
KrisAnne Hall came to our house today to give a fabulous lecture to 13 kids. She was supposed to come on Friday but she got caught in a ro...
-
I am finally getting a handle on how we are going to do school now and even though I don't have it all set up yet (Rosetta Stone is in t...
No comments:
Post a Comment