August 17, 2012

Slow day at home

I overslept.  I was supposed to be up at 6 AM but slept until 7:20 and then had to jump quick into the shower before N and C came over for the day.

Cairn slept in too and was very slow to get dressed and be herself.  I got everyone working on school work that was awake by 8:30 AM.  Skylar didn't wake up until 9:30 AM

Cairn and N were working on finishing their weather lapbooks.  Cairn did a great job of using information about one concept to help explain another concept.  For example, she knew that clouds were water droplets so then she was able to talk precipitation and temperature determining what falls from the clouds.  Cairn and I also discussed some of the things we had learned while at the gardens about plant adaptions and where they live in the world.  She loved that she had learned so much and didn't crack the computer to learn it.  She was feeling so confident about her education that when I asked her to do math she did it without complaint and got 100% without much effort.

I also talked to her new online teacher that is assigned to Cairn and she is STRONG supporter of teaching to the objective and not just completing the assignments on the computer.  We may have a great year yet!!

Skylar worked hard on her math (counting sides and corners of shapes), handwriting and phonics.  We also worked on describing things using our senses and using a wider variety of words then soft, hard, light, smelly.  We talked about how she would describe some of the things she saw or touched or smelled yesterday and what words she would use and then she got it.  Being descriptive is much more fun to read then, "The flower was soft and smelled good."  "The bright pink flower felt prickly and sharp when I touched it with my fingers."

Dad was home today so Andrew got to work in the garage - his favorite place to be.



After lunch we went to the pool but the day just wan't warm enough so we left after 40 minutes.  Cairn kept asking for some quiet time today since she hadn't had any all week.  It just wasn't going to work out well so I got them going on some quieter activities - painting and games.  N and C went home a little after 4:30.

We ended the week with pizza and a movie, Nanny McPhee Returns.  We didn't get all of our school work completed for the week but what we got finished was quality learning.  I continue to be excited about how we are changing our homeschool day - life really.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Korean Scholarship!

 Cairn applied for the Korean Learner Scholarship at CSU and won!  Andrew and I were able to attend the award ceremony where she received th...