Andrew woke up Friday and he was fine. No more headache and never any vomiting and he is eating fine. Thank goodness! That was so super scary that it will be a long time before I forget not being able to wake one on my children.
We did school today. Cairn wanted to take her spelling test first thing. I, of course, was fine with that because she usually fights me on doing her spelling test so I was thrilled.
Now usually spelling tests are screaming, yelling fits of rage and that is just me. Cairn is in tears, screaming she can't remember how to spell any of the words and begging for more study time. I scream back that she has been studying all week so she either knows them or she doesn't - and she screams she doesn't know them. We try to start the test and the first word brings on more tears (from both of us). Sometimes we get through the whole test and some days if she can get a few words in a row right then I will pass on the rest and just move forward.
Today was a different story.
Cairn: Can I take my spelling test?
Me: Sure, get your spelling paper and pencil
Cairn: Ready
Me: Number one "though" - I didn't pick it, the test protocol did.
Cairn:....okay next
Me: Next? You already spelled the word? Let me see it. ..... oh my gosh - it is right!! (I wasn't surprised it was right because she had been spelling it all week correctly - I was surprised she had gotten it down on the paper without complaint but I had to say something.) Number two "export"
Cairn: okay ready
Me: Seriously? Ok number three "prehistoric"
Cairn: ready
This is how the whole test went, I would say a word and she would spell it. It was amazing and it was fun! At the end of the test she had missed 2 - precaution and Maine - I hadn't included the state names in her card list - I figured she would learn how to spell those during our state study. She got Mississippi right though.
I loved watching her eyes light up every time she would tell me next. She knew she was doing well and she was very proud. After spelling, we moved on to a different subject - usually we have to take a break so everyone can calm back down. Such a little change for such LARGE rewards!! The neatest thing about it - the confidence she has from spelling is transferring into other subjects - she is starting to talk to me about what she needs to be successful. We are both learning so much about how she learns best.
This afternoon, Cairn had her last piano class for summer break and she had a solo on Malaguena. She has been working really hard on it - she was in tears about it the first couple weeks but now she really likes the song. The parents get to come in and listen to the solos, so we were in class when she played it. She was first to play and it sounded good to me but then the next child played it and it sounded much different. Cairn looks up at me from across the room with eyes that said, "that sounds different." It happened again and again for each child that played. When we got to the car, Cairn wanted to know why her song didn't sound like everyone else's. I said it did they just played it faster and with a little more confidence. She then said she wants to keep working on it this summer to make it sound like everyone else's song. I was proud of her!
We didn't get to eat at 5 PM tonight since Cairn's class doesn't end until 5:15 and it was quite evident when we got home that 5 PM is dinner time. They were all grouchy and irritable and mean to each other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Korean Scholarship!
Cairn applied for the Korean Learner Scholarship at CSU and won! Andrew and I were able to attend the award ceremony where she received th...
-
Happy Valentine's Day! The kids woke up to a nice surprise of Valentine cards, dye free candy, new shirts and socks, and new "lip...
-
KrisAnne Hall came to our house today to give a fabulous lecture to 13 kids. She was supposed to come on Friday but she got caught in a ro...
-
I am finally getting a handle on how we are going to do school now and even though I don't have it all set up yet (Rosetta Stone is in t...
No comments:
Post a Comment