It was fairly nice when we got there so we took a group photo.
Then we walked for about 15 minutes through a whole variety of places that you don't usually get to see when you visit the academy.
We finally made it to the Chemistry Lab and Skylar got started on her first experiment - Paper Towers. The goal was to build it strong enough to hold several chemistry textbooks.
The final count - watch and see!
After paper towers we went to food chemistry - first we made butter.
Then we put food coloring in milk and then touched the center with dishwashing soap. Check out the star.
Then it was time for Skylar to get angry and stab a potato with a straw.
We all know that angry face and it worked!
Then we made orange juice soda by adding baking soda to orange juice. It was disgusting!!
Then we made ice cream by adding liquid nitrogen to milk. Skylar got some on her finger but she still stirred and made some - she ate a little - it was good but she didn't want to get a tummy ache.
After a little food chemistry we headed over to Alka-Seltzer rockets.
After we worked in the lab we went into the stairwell to see how high the rockets actually go. Over 15 feet!! This is Skylar moving away from the rocket after putting it together.
After all our experiments, we headed to a chemistry classroom for a magic show. Check out these videos. I wish I could have recorded all of it. I learned a lot but can't remember all the things he said.
As soon as we got home she was back to talking and wanting everyone to see exactly what she did. I got out a potato and a straw. I got out the milk, food coloring and soap. Now I am doing research about more experiments. She is excited and I don't want to lose that. She said a couple times today she wants to go to the school at the Academy.
Glad you two had a great time and had a fun learning ecperience.... Cappy
ReplyDelete